There are lots of different types of sugar. Ingredients like Sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltose, hydrolysed starch, invert sugar, corn syrup and honey are all sugars. Watch out for these hidden nasties on your food labels.
Our addiction to sugar is linked to obesity, cancer and heart disease. Soft drinks are among the worst offenders of the sugar-laden foods and drinks we consume. When you see how much sugar our favourite soft drinks contain compared to water, it’s enough to make you rethink your drink:
Tips to cut down your sugar intake
- Instead of sugary, fizzy drinks and juice drinks, go for water or unsweetened fruit juice (remember to dilute these for children to further reduce the sugar)
- If you take sugar in hot drinks, or add it to cereal, gradually reduce the amount until you can cut it out altogether
- Check nutrition labels to help you pick the foods with less added sugar. Or go for the low-sugar version
- Choose tins of fruit in juice rather than syrup
- Choose wholegrain breakfast cereals, but not those coated with sugar or honey
Have you had a checkup lately? Contact Diamond Smiles in Barnoldswick for an appointment with our dentist.