The Great British Bake Off is back on TV and we’re always in the mood for more cake! As we all know, too much sugar is bad for our teeth, so here’s an easy sugar free alternative for you to make.
Sugar Free Scones!
This is a great, easy recipe that makes nice big scones. You can either add fruit or leave them plain.
500g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 75g margarine (or butter if you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons raisins, sultanas, cherries or other dried fruit (optional)
- 300ml milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
Prep:20min › Cook:10min › Ready in:30min
- Sieve all the flour into a large bowl.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Cut the margarine into slices and add it to the flour
- Rub the margarine into the flour until it is all well mixed
- If you’re using dried fruit add it now.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the milk, a little at a time to make sure it doesn’t get too wet. Mix the dough with a spoon. Don’t knead the dough as the scones will be too hard; handle lightly.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll it to approximately 3cm thick.
- Use a small cutter to cut out the scones.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Place on a baking tray covered with parchment.
- Bake at 160 C / Gas 2-3 for 10 minutes in a pre-heated oven. Check inside of scone to make sure it’s cooked on inside.
Enjoy with Sugar Free Jam!